Links to the other ECISketcher Rotations 2015

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Petr's Book / First Entry

Under the Skin - my first entry is a very biological one, spray paint, ink pen, acrylic paints. I love diagrams and how science kind off takes a stab at simplifying complexity in order to grasp it and make it accessible. I love this diagram because while representing layers of skin it also resembles natural motives of roots, rivers, rocks. It is almost like an analogy.

My intention for this entry was to invite you to go deeper under the skin. If I continued I'd try to create a flow cutting deep through bones and muscles all the way to the depths of human heart and soul. 

Have fun.





3 comments:

  1. Cool Petr! My first thought was of Rachel Whiteread's house casting project. http://ind.pn/i9t148 It was "about" many things, as the article points out, but what I took from it was the idea of a building as a living thing. Wiring as veins, plumbing as digestive system and the walls as skin. After that, I started looking at everything as a facade and asking what was hidden or underneath. These ideas sort of went with my fascination, at the time, with liminal or in-between states. I'm definitely "oversharing" here. ;p It just struck me that maybe one of the reasons that Whiteread's work stuck with me was because I didn't like her stuff at all, at first. My first impression was complete disinterest because I didn't see any aesthetic value. I mean, her stuff isn't traditionally pretty and there's all those right angels in your face, whereas I prefer organic shapes. But I loved it once I took the time to look under the surface.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://ind.pn/i9t148

    hmmm, why isn't my link showing as a link? >:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. It can be made work. It's a good article. I only recently saw some of her smaller pieces - castings of everyday objects (boxes, cartons) beautifully rendered in pastel coloured wax. I found them fascinating in their subtlety. I love your analogy - especially thinking of ageing - of old houses producing sounds, creaking, moaning and gasping in their effort to remain a functioning entity.

    ReplyDelete